Sunday, August 24, 2008

Saturday Can Lead to Broken Parts







So Saturday rolls around, and being the weather is nice, I decided to get a few hours in on the tractor. I'm working towards pulling the engine next weekend (Labor Day weekend) and needed to get some more parts removed...

















After letting the antifreeze puke all over the garage floor, I pulled off the radiator (with some family help. I think the radiator weighs about 125 pounds, based on the imprint it left on my foot)





The girls pitched in with scrapers to get 70 years of crud off of the parts I've removed so far...




Just when I thought this was going to be a piece of cake restoration, I broke off my first bolt. It didn't provide much resistence. POP! It was gone. The good news is that I just need to remove the tranny cover, and use a little soaking and heat to back the stud out. That will be a later project.




I also broke the exhaust manifold, which wasn't a big surprise. It was already on my list of things to replace. It was rusted solid full. I need to get to two sneaky bolts up under the manifold (see the massive amount of WD-40 in the photo) to get the assembly off. I need to pick up a 13/16" combination wrench to get this little project done...

No comments: