Monday, August 18, 2008

Hood Is Off


The hood came off with a bit of creative twisting and pulling. Its in great shape, and should look great after a bit of sanding, a little straightening, and some paint.

While removing the ignition timing rod that runs over the top of the hood, the tractor attacked me. Actually, it was the retention spring that shot when I pulled out the cotter pin. No damage, since it was on the rod and couldn't escape. Garfield, our garage cat #3, was not amused.





So I'm starting to list out the things I need to do on the F20, such as replace the upgraded ignition with a stock Magneto. Its not that I mind newer technology, but some tractors deserve to have their original bits and pieces.





I've determined the tractor was originally red, which makes the painting a bit easier. I do need to invest in some wire brushes and sanding paper...









Next steps are to buy manuals for the tractor, and start planning out the teardown. I'm envisioning that it will be 4 phases: front, engine, bits and pieces, and rear axle. Seems easy on paper, but easy doesn't break loose bolts that are 72 years old...

I'm also negotiating with a neighbor to buy an old Oliver wood wagon that is about the same age as the F20. The asking price is $75, so I may need to negotiate...

No comments: